This will be the last general post under the new studio banner. It’s not that I’m stopping anything, it’s because I was awarded a grant by Arts Council England to develop the Geranium project. So from next week I’ll be posting Geranium Project 01 and should run up to GP40 by the end of the funding period.
On Monday 3rd June I worked on four drawings that I began last week, working them together towards a larger drawing that I’d stretched paper for. The drawing process is still build up, break down, build back up. I enjoy the prospect of working to correct as the drawing retains some of the character of the erroneous marks when it’s corrected.
This is the translation to a unified whole, which is far too twee – I think that’s the word – and required some dissolution and retrieval. I dripped very thin black paint over it, took it off with more paper, dripped white paint over it that I allowed to dry and then worked over that with white conté.
This is where it was at when I had to stop for the day. The reds have had more pastel applied and the central block has been worked over with more charcoal.
Wednesday 5th June I went in to the studio to find there was leak, I traced it up through three floors to the roof, it damaged a sketchbook.
This is the sketchbook drip dried through the morning, before I had to split it up to dry in the afternoon.
I concentrated on six drawings I had started on Monday by ‘mono printing’ off the big drawing.
Obviously these are still in progress. I then did a little work on the big drawing.
Friday was a day full of visits again, potential building purchasers, artists looking for studio space and collaborators for the Geranium Project.
In between these and talking to builders and property agents I managed to take down the installation so that I can re-paint and reconfigure it.
I also managed to work on two drawings from yesterday.
So this weekend will be spent working out the schedule for the Geranium Project.