Another week of lots of work with apparently not much progress. It’s very easy to spend hours working on the computer and have little concrete to show for the effort. I’ve managed to use a particle system to put fog into one end of the drawing garden, and I did some work on Monday to add materials and so on.
I also had a look at one of the potential locations for a transition to another scene, or from another scene.
Over the next two days I worked on making a photographic version of the garden where the ‘player’ will start with a view to moving from there to the drawn garden.
After a week off and installing the computer and VR kit at the studio this week was back to it.
Kit in Studio
The kit has to be packed away securely each day, which takes about 30 minutes, as the studio is in a high burglary area.
So far I’ve got an animation working thanks to Luke, one of my assistants, and I resolved the teleporting issues I’d had while the kit was at home.
I keep thinking this doesn’t seem to amount to much for all the time I’ve had but then a visitor tries it out and I’m reassured that it appears to be impressive. There is an advantage in using an uncommon technology but there is also the problem that the work becomes about the technology or that the technology dominates the idea.
I’m simultaneously disappointed that I’m not further ahead and pleased with the progress I’ve made, not that that makes much sense.