Circles Films

Circles Films

(Another New Studio)

Over the last fortnight I set up the installation area, for the moment a projection room, and played around with using both projectors each throwing to a different wall.

While I was playing with the projections I also produced the first piece of work I’ve made in the studio. A drawing of the birds nest I found when the neighbours trimmed the hedge.

circles films

first drawing in the new studio

A simple charcoal drawing on heavy paper. I made a polycam model of the nest itself

Then later made an AR test with the downloaded obj file. The obj, or format of your choice, can be downloaded here.

I wanted to break up the projected images in the installation and decided to make some large circles to to hang in front of the screens. The images below use a projection of the geranium project film and a new red film made from camera trap captures that came out in shades of red, played in sequence and on a loop.

Circles Films

Red Circles from the right

Circles Films

The geranium film projected onto the large circles

Doing so meant I emptied my portfolio so I displayed the Durer’s solid drawings that are in progress.

Circles Films

The Durer’s Solid drawings displayed in the studio

The video felt too small in the space and I wanted to complicate the surface so I used both projectors and set them with the films overlapping by about two thirds of their width. I added in a line of smaller circles cutting across the space.

Circles Films

Both projectors in the installation overlapping

I have a Vimeo Showcase of film snatches and a longer, 15 min film

There is a gallery page of stills from the  videos

And that’s as far as I’ve got

Another New Studio

Another New Studio

Another New studio

The empty studio

I took the plunge and moved into a new studio away from the house. It’s expensive but more professional!

I oved into the space above on Tuesday 2nd May.

Another new studio

floor covered with dpc plastic

On Wednesday 3rd May I got a roll of dpc plastic and covered the floor.

Another New Studio

Moving in Day

On Friday 5th May I moved all the stuff down to the studio in a van and started to assemble the installation that will sit in the middle of the space.

Another New Studio

A view of the studio with the installation

We’ve had a run of bank holidays, what with Charlie’s hat and so on, so I didn’t get back to the studio until Tuesday 9th May when I finished assembling the installation and a seperate space for storage.

Another New Studio

First Coat of Paint

On Thursday the 11th I managed to give all the structures a first coat of paint and set up the computer and VR headset. I needed to do some gardening on Wednesday as it wasn’t raining.


I continued to work on the platonics app after the last post and whilst I’m not completely pleased with it I decided to put it onto the play store as a test. It’s remarkably easy and took a couple of days total. It’s a fairly involved process though so it’s worth making a list and preparing your materials. it is particularly worth creating a set of screen shots and getting your publicity materials in order before you start. It’s on as a test in that I’m not publicising it other than on here.

platonics_timaeus is now on the play store.

The website link for the images is

platonics_timaeus ad

platonics_timaeus feature graphic

Most of the work I do can be seen on my website


I’ve continued to draw every day;

The April drawings can be seen here

and the March images here

There is a link to the previous month’s Gallery on each page.

The drawings are posted to Twitter and Instagram each day.